Career & Civic Engagement Center PARTNER INTERNSHIP: ShopRunner, Data Science Internship
SHOPRUNNER DATA SCIENCE INTERNSHIP
This is a Career and Civic Engagement Center Partner Internship. The selected student will participate in the Beyond Bryn Mawr Summer Internship Program.
DEADLINE: Sunday, February 9, at 11:59PM ET
Application Instructions: A complete application includes
- Completing the Summer Funding Partners Application Form
- Submitting a Resume and Cover Letter through this Handshake listing.
Note: Students are invited to learn more about the ShopRunner Summer 2020 Data Science Internship at an upcoming virtual information session. Meet members of the Data Science team and ask your questions on Thursday, February 6, at 6:30pm ET. Details will be available in Handshake events soon.
We connect customers to the brands they love by way of a thriving marketplace and a members-only service that provides benefits across 100+ of the best online stores. Our members save time and money with benefits including free 2-day shipping, easy 2-click checkout, and free returns all while we help them stay up on the latest trends.
For merchants, we’re driving e-commerce business and producing insights with a growing data analytics practice. With a powerful two-sided network and a robust data platform, we’re creating an e-commerce win-win, helping retailers compete. The landscape of retail is changing and we’re here to empower retailers to take their place in that exciting evolution.
We have people in offices around the world: Headquartered in Chicago, with offices in Conshohocken, PA (Philly area), New York, San Mateo and Krakow, Poland. We hustle to get things done, creating wins for customers, merchants and each other.
ABOUT THE ROLE:
You will join a diverse data science team, based out of our Chicago office. We use our extensive store of cross-market e-commerce data to create predictive models that help move our business forward. As an intern on our team, you will be paired with a senior data scientist mentor and you will work on collaborative projects to help us push the limits of what our data can do to serve both our merchants and customers, while learning new predictive modeling and software engineering skills along the way. Some of the projects we’re working on include:
● Analyzing our massive store of data to better understand how our customers interact with ShopRunner and our merchant network. We’re using our findings to identify new segments for ShopRunner to focus on, to build recommendation systems, and to build predictive targeting models.
● Developing computer vision algorithms on top of our collection of roughly 50 million product images.
● Uncovering opportunities for new products and services within our customer and merchant network, often developing prototypes.
● Working with the engineering team to develop new products, assisting with data architecture and model deployment, and ensuring our products will scale with usage across our merchant network.
In addition to your data science work, you’ll get to interact with and learn from other departments at ShopRunner including data engineering, analytics, product, and design.
ABOUT WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR:
● Undergraduate students majoring in a relevant field; possible majors include Computer Science, Engineering, Physics, Mathematics, and Statistics, but we’re open to other majors if you have done relevant work.
● Working proficiency in Python. Basically, you can write code that another person would be able to read and understand.
● Experience working with data. This could include work you’ve done for classes.
● Experience with machine learning or applied statistics. We’re interested in people who try to understand algorithms and metrics when they use them, not necessarily the person who has memorized the most algorithms.
● Interest in software development best practices and working on systems that either are already or will eventually be put into production environments. We don’t expect you to be experts, but we do want people who are excited to learn about software development in addition to data science.
● Sophomores or Juniors preferred.
ShopRunner is hiring 2 undergraduate interns for the Data Science Team. The schedule is 40 hours per week for 10 weeks; The stipend for this internship is $8,000 (minus taxes).
We want you to bring your whole human self to work every single day. We accept you for who you are and consider everyone on an equal opportunity basis without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Note from Career & Civic Engagement: This internship was developed in partnership with BMC Alumna Courtney Gray ('92). Courtney is also based in Chicago, IL, and will be in touch with the selected interns for this opportunity before they start the internship as well as hold ongoing meet-ups. Courtney is also familiar with other Mawrters in Chicago in the tech start-up scene and hopes to bring them together with the interns to discuss their career-related questions.